reluctantriter

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Great Bowls of Fire


This notation could have just as easily be called: “To the Victor Goes the Spoils” or “Times Remembered”.

Yesterday evening was the Flying Club’s Third annual Chili Cook Off. The Fire Hall has been usurped by Jason’s chili called “Hotter than Matt’s Mom”, nope, don’t want to go there.

As far as the “spoils” are concerned:

The prize.......








My chili, called “Bark Biter-Tree Hugger Vegetarian” using cauliflower – who knew cauliflower could be put in chili, won the prize for the most unique chili. Must say, it did have a bit of a bite to it.

Times remembered is related to the fact that many years ago, my “nephew-the-art-teacher-in-Singapore” bought me a cook book holder which rarely gets used. I was reminded of him as I was, on this rare instance, using the holder to insure my cookbook stayed tidy and all the necessary ingredients actually made it into the crockpot. My “niece-the-librarian-cum-academic-coordinator” although absent, contributed by my recall of her telling me last year to WEAR GLOVES when you are fiddling with jalapeño peppers. Last year I managed to “spice” up my life much more than I intended by chopping, no, not chopping, MINCING the jalapeños without using gloves. My actions resulted in my sense that I was going to glow in the dark for at least three days. Since I am a northern type person I am unfamiliar with such lethal flora. The niece recommended thorough washing and antihistamine medication. Hot stuff I tell ya! She tells me that there are even hotter peppers available like the habanero and scotch bonnet – DEFINITLY NOT Scottish, that much I can tell you being of Scots descent and knowing that typically THEY do not cook with much spice.

The competition never had a chance this year!


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page