reluctantriter

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Here I are


Here I am in Victoria, coming to attend a conference that has been two years in the making. The shuttle waits at the airport for, what I am sure, is the last scheduled flight to land for the day. It is a small airport, two baggage carousels which have no chute, just a carrousel where baggage disappears, to reappear a few moments later, all lateral movement.

Underway, I am struck by two things:
1. The island is ROCK, quite a contrast to the glacial till to which I am accustomed.
2. The vegetation is thick along the roadway as if it would like to choke the very life out of the asphalt.

Though I note that the vegetation is thick, occasionally there are trees and shrubs that seemingly in defiance, appear quite dead, twisted, knurled, in opposition to the vibrancy around them.

We speed along the highway, it seems like the airport is 20 or 30 kilometers from the city itself and I try to recall my last visit here many years ago. Some buildings seem familiar others, not so. Occasionally I glimpse the ocean and it is quite striking and breath taking, like Quodlibet says, there is something special about the sea. For sure some how we are all connected to it and reminded thus when we see it, however briefly.

On arrival, finally, at my hotel, I am grateful. Folks around are wearing jackets and it is cool – I’m cautious to say cold as I’ve come from a place where it snowed only last week. The hotel is modest, the desk clerk assures me my room is quiet, away from the elevators and removed from “party animals”. She indicates it is just up a few stairs to the elevator – WOW! NOT a hotel for the handicapped as there are ½ dozen good sized stairs and of course my suitcase has increased in weight since it was packed last night! The thing about conferences is that you have to pack a gazillion things, more shoes than what I would like and certainly dresses and such fit for the “gala” and banquet. Rats! Even the golf requires wardrobe in addition to that which I would ordinarily bring. Left to my own devices …. pair of shorts, jeans, tee, sweater jacket, running shoes …done.

Time for me to “hit the pit”, as I am unsure as to the commencement of events.

1 Comments:

  • Look who's back!! Victoria is my last stomping ground, so it's always nice to see pictures, and to jerk the odd tear. Boo Hoo.

    By Blogger B-Rod, at July 09, 2007 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page