reluctantriter

Monday, January 01, 2007

Guid Day!

Happy New Year! Did my very favorite thing last night …. Into bed early and hardly noticed the arrival of 2007, if I don’t count the thump-thump-thump from my neighbour’s place and he lives ACROSS the parking area so we do not share a common wall. More the pity to his direct neighbours.

Usually or frequently or maybe it is “I use to …” have elaborate preparation for the arrival of Hogmanay as my Scottish ancestors would refer to the New Year. There would be much cleaning of the home, laundry, settling of accounts and special invitations to specific folk to perform the duties of “First Footing” to ensure a prosperous year. Lately, the last few years anyway, I’ve not practiced any of the exercises from my youth and WHAT??? … the world has continued to turn.

Today I spent some time writing in my journal and noticing that I really get caught up in doing was HAS to be done and not doing it very well – that is, procrastinating, half-way, distractedly. The end result, quite simply is, my resistance to the “have to” gets in the way of the “want to”. In my mind, I suspect it works like this: I would really, really like to be out having fun, flying, coffee with people, yadda, yadda, yadda. I know that I can’t do those things until after the “way is earned” so to speak. I get into “earning my way” sideways and really do not perform as I can/should/might resulting in NEVER being ahead enough to do the things of “want to” origin. So, if I change anything this year, it will be to follow through and CONSISTENTLY do the best job I can at whatever it is in which I am engaged. If I really, really want to go flying, I know what I have to do – work for it! Not rocket science, just being a grownup and sometimes I just don’t want to be a grown up!

On a cheerier not and I hope responsible one, off to my big sister’s place for supper. My niece-the-Librarian only has a couple of days left before she returns to Houston and her life there. While we did not have a lot of time together and today, no murderous Trivial Pursuit games, I am always the richer for her visits.

As an aside, it seems that I have not been able to completely abandon a history of duty around New Years as here I sit, with my list, laundry and bills being at the top of them. Tomorrow is back to basics, with a plasma donation and exercise in the morning, just like usual; new calendars to hand, too!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page