reluctantriter

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Let Me Tell Ya 'Bout ....

Let me tell you about “Molly”. She is, as I suspected, as cute as a bug’s ear and very, very independent. It is not clear, who is teaching whom at this point. I would like her to jump when the light turns green. No, her style is much more leisurely and really she would do very well in Hawaii where the local folk make a habit of believing an amber light is really just light green and red, well, red is sort of dark amber – if you get what I mean. This of course poses special risks for me in that I usually stop at amber lights – silly me, meaning this is a big surprise to Hawaiians. Anyway, with Molly’s leisurely acceleration, no way will she EVER be the first car across when the light turns green.

Sometimes she doesn’t want to start. This peculiarity is built into Smarts, something about locking themselves up if nothing happens within a minute or two of entry into the vehicle. I’ve yet to figure it out, I just know that about every fourth time I go to start her she just sort of smiles at me via the instrument panel and says “Nah, coax me!”. Then of course I try all manner of combination of locking and unlocking via the key which has some kind of electronic chip in it that assists in communicating with the car.

Fun to drive, the impression is, I’m going very, very fast – not too likely given the size of the engine. For heaven’s sake there are sewing machines that are more powerful. However, it is all in perception. Frankly, I must say, I was quite put off by my friend saying that the shifting was smoother when I let Molly do it in “automatic”. Yes friends, she is not taking my direction easily.

In closing …. what’s with a car that should be placed in reverse gear at shut-off time and then the parking brake applied. That just sounds plain weird to me. On the other hand, SHE DOES have ME TRAINED to apply the parking brake when I exit. Remember folks, I am coming from a six speed standard, Kompressor, 189hp and quick as a scared cat. Now … I am of the set who bops along listening to Anne Murray … GAD!

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page