reluctantriter

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hibiscus, Lowbiscus and Dogbiscus

Definitely NOT the ‘Hat. I love planes, the problem being, I love looking at them more than sitting in one for six and a quarter hours – which makes a trip to Singapore unlikely unless the Concord returns. This is the second time I succeed in having a bulk-head seat, solo or mostly so. About half way through the trip the Bursar/Head Flight Attendant gently woke me up to ask if it were OK to move a passenger to the seat next to me, the passenger having recently broken a leg. In reality boys and girls, he was not asking permission but politely informing me as I had only paid for one seat although I was sprawled across two. So what do you think are the odds here? In a plane full of people, a 767 in fact, out of all those people, WHO was the person to inadvertently step on her foot? Yep, ME! Gently of course because I am “cat trained” – lightening reflexes to instantly levitate should I feel anything soft under my toes or heels. It happened as we were disembarking, the mob in the aisle and so on – you know those people, the ones that think if they stand up, clog the aisles and prevent you from getting at the over head bins, somehow the doors will be opened by the sheer pressure of will or perhaps the disturbance in air pressure resulting from the sudden movement of mass. Anyway as I was standing in my bulk head expanse someone sort of pressed against my imaginary boundary, resulting in my stepping back.

Speaking of the cats, I’m guessing that they have figured out that I am not home, beyond the fact that that feedings are reduced to once daily with double the amount I’m not sure what they make of all this. They know in their kitty bones that something is “up” when all the personal papers are put away and their litter area is thoroughly vacuumed. While not claiming to really know what goes on betwixt their furry little ears I know that they are quite frightened of the monster that is kept in the garage. Snake-like and invasive it makes a terrible roaring noise and what is a cat to do except make a break for it. Run, run swiftly. To you and me it is simply the hose for the vacu-flow, to them, some sort of sucking, toy stealing, treat-stealing menace. The visitation from the monster is often preceded by the stowing of personal papers and then the appearance of strange people in the house wielding all manner of broom, mop and squeegee. So what I am saying is, on one hand they are happy that my tidying up did not result in an invitation to “the monster” but on the other hand …. They may be thinking “yeah twice as much in the old food dish, but how about we do this twice a day like when the can opener queen is home?”

‘Nuf said I am going to, as the Hawaiians call it, retreat to the lanai and read a good book. I’m just about finished “Conspiracy of Fools”. Quite a good read about greed, greed and intrigue. To Amelia, HNL is aviation speak for the Honolulu airport. ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) has assigned unique identifiers to all the airports in the world. CYYC, usually just called YYC is Calgary, WSSS is Singapore, Brisbane is YBNN, Honolulu is PHNL and so on.

5 Comments:

  • Hawaii, wow, that's one place I'd like to go...someday...

    Enjoy the sun, the sand, the sea and the Hawaiian pineapple cocktail!

    PS: How about coming here by ship? I think it takes about a month... imagine the adventure and abundance of the wild seas...

    By Blogger Amelia Earhart, at April 30, 2006 10:47 AM  

  • Honolulu Airport...confused,
    how to get to Gate 32

    I asked an attendant.

    YOU GO WIKI WIKI !

    Now, I asked again...

    YOU GO WIKI WIKI !!!!

    www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com

    By Blogger SNAKE HUNTERS, at April 30, 2006 12:35 PM  

  • Hawaii hmmm,

    I would be jealous but I am heading to the Big Island myself next month for a "conference". Resort living at its finest with the minor irritation of meeting fellow librarians who teach.

    By Blogger paksenn, at May 01, 2006 10:33 AM  

  • Long Beach to Singapore 22 about $2,288 p/p (Euro 1,760 p/p) about $2,431 (Euro 1,870

    Wow, that would be an adventure!

    By Blogger pingcat, at May 01, 2006 9:23 PM  

  • Ahhhhh Hawaii! One of my favorite people (SuzieQ) took me there a few years ago. Very beautiful. I think my favorite thing was the Dole Pineapple Factory!!! Oh yeah, and the beach!

    By Blogger Quodlibet, at May 02, 2006 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page