reluctantriter

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The World Keeps On Turning, Turning ...

... so the song says. Yes, I was correct, I didn't have time to fiddle with how to do the photos. Canagal has done a wonderful job on her site and I think I will beg and implore as to how this might be done and perhaps she will agree to a tutorial. The reason I was pushed for time was because I was going to a funeral. It is not that the event was unknown to me or a surprise as I read the announcement earlier this week and promised myself I would go even though I hadn't seen the person in a number of years. For me, it was out of "respect" or to pay my respect. It was good that my motivation was some what without conditions as when I arrived I found that it was really an Open House and there was no service. At first, I did not know a soul, not a person. I felt awkward, out of place and as if I were intruding. With all those feelings churning around, I found the Guest Book, signed in, so to speak, grabbed a memorial card and entered where the coffee, food and chatting was taking place. There were some photos, some mementoes, those sorts of things around so I occupied my time for a bit but decided after a few minutes to leave.

As I was leaving, actually on the parking lot, someone else arrived who I knew quite well. It was interesting how this person became a link for me between the deceased's more recent world and our historic one. This lady introduced me to a few folk we had in common and it turned out, it was important that I was there as when I was leaving for the second time, the new widower, to whom I was offering condolences again as I departed ended up pouring his poor, broken heart out as we stood at the exit doors - he had just returned from a smoke.

On the positive side, I immediately called a friend who relocated, man, it must be a year and a bit ago, and we chatted for quite awhile. This friend use to be a "Dispatch" person and we reminisced warmly about our time and the time we shared with others. She especially mentioned CanaGal's significant other, Canagal and quadlibet, so who knows, perhaps she too will get the blogging bug! So anyway, if the funeral taught me nothing, it reminded me that you never know when you will contribute in unexpected ways and also, keep the fires that have kept you warm in the past burning with a little fuel from time to time.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page