reluctantriter

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Road Snit, Rather Than Rage

A couple of things that I have found somewhat annoying the last few days. This city has a number of areas where there is road construction and I find myself going through them on a regular basis. The sites are marked with a multitude of signs indicating that the speed is reduced from around 80 kilometers to, in one case, 50. We have been told, should we be caught speeding in these areas, the usual fine will be double. Now, I am the kind of person with a somewhat heavy foot and I like to move along and I find these sections extremely tedious to drive through. What makes it even more annoying is the fact that I seem to be the only driver remotely close the the posted reduced speed and other folk are driving around me like I am some kind of little old "nud-nik" Mr. MaGoo! What gives?

The other thing I find about these sites is often there is not a soul working, not a piece of equipment turning a wheel and yet the reduced speed is still in effect. Probably it is not a good idea to go whipping through an area where there are barricades and sharp shoulders but still, it just adds insult to injury. These things, I suppose, are sent to try me. I once had a little magnetic button thing that said "Why am I the only person on this planet who knows how to drive?" Ironically, it was lost when I was in a rear-ender, the guy in front of me having stopped, me having stopped and ... that is where the stopping stopped for a couple, actually, I think three cars just ploughed into us one after another - and NOT in a construction zone!

4 Comments:

  • Having driven with you through many environments, I am impressed with your self control to not drive fast through the construction zones. Here is Houston there is never ending road construction. At least in Calgary, the ground is frozen for part of the year preventing this from occurring. There are some roads in Houston that I have never driven on as they have been "under construction" since I arrived 4+ years ago.

    By Blogger paksenn, at April 13, 2006 6:00 PM  

  • Yeah, I've had to follow Anna before and had no choice but to keep up because I didn't know how to get where we were going! I felt like a nascar driver!!! Very exciting!

    By Blogger Quodlibet, at April 13, 2006 10:06 PM  

  • Not just where you are, but also here in Singapore. After people complained, they scheduled the construction works at night. But pity the poor workers.

    I bet you're a good driver. Men may scoff at us, but we're better drivers, because we have a good head on our shoulders, even if we are speed demons.

    By Blogger Amelia Earhart, at April 14, 2006 9:00 AM  

  • Busted!

    By Blogger pingcat, at April 16, 2006 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page