reluctantriter

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Not For You

Do not read this if you have a life, something better to do or are looking for entertainment – this one is for me.

A little help here, please, she screams in frustration and panic. Where is my big sister who knows EVERYTHING about spatial relations and tasteful furniture placement??? Yeah, Yeah, feeding some damn wood ticks in Manitoba. My sister could work this out in 15 minutes. She left me some drawings and notes as to where to put furniture stuff but where to I put MY STUFF?!?

OK, here’s the deal … one office going into one little, seemingly very little condo. The conflict isn’t where to put pieces of equipment/furniture; the conflict is where to put stuff. As a rule I am a very private person so using a home office is a giant leap in the first place. Now some “material” is a no brain-er. Office computer, office files go into the out of bounds area – where no client will tread, plus I can put a lock on the door for additional security. BUT … I have a multi-level condo that, possibly, just possibly was a one liter/quart milk carton in another life. You walk in to a decent sized hall/reception area and faced with a choice. Up seven stairs to the living room, down seven stairs to a smallish office or if you have found you’ve made a mistake coming into the place at all you can exit to the right through the door and out the garage.

I’ve decided that for “public” business purposes I will have the office area down stairs as a client paper filling out area and the living room as the meeting area. Soooo …. should a client come earlier than the agreed to time, the instruction will be to proceed directly downstairs and close the door for privacy and grab a bottled water from the small fridge. NO, NONE, NADDA stuff of any importance will be in this area … funny, as I write this I realize where “stuff” has to go and in fact, in the process of a rather painful process of using the “drawing” tool bar of MS word, I’ve designed what I think will be workable based on some notes my sis left whilst cat-tending. A BONUS – while struggling away, my sis called from Manitoba – apparently not having been totally lunched on by wood ticks and it didn’t sound like she had either Lyme’s disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever – both good things NOT to have.

My toys, planes, cat thingies, those sorts of items that I consider somewhat intimate will all go on the kitchen level on up. So there … decision made.

8 Comments:

  • Some great lady, who helped me during a tough time taught me that sometimes you just have to write it all out . . .

    By Blogger CanaGal, at May 14, 2006 2:23 PM  

  • Touché … and you m’dear are one AMAZING lady!

    By Blogger pingcat, at May 14, 2006 3:57 PM  

  • awww, gosh . . .

    By Blogger CanaGal, at May 14, 2006 7:20 PM  

  • I think your space would make for a very nice office/work environment. Because of the multi level you could keep 'your life' on the uppers while still having a nice place for clients to enter and talk or wait on the lowers. Even your yard in the summer would provide a very nice, comfy, relaxed space to talk with clients I would imagine.

    By Blogger Quodlibet, at May 16, 2006 12:39 PM  

  • Thanks for the encouragement .... now if I could only get the darned books to migrate from the lower level to the upper level and those on the upper to the lower by themselves.

    By Blogger pingcat, at May 16, 2006 11:26 PM  

  • I have to admit that I am thankful that I am not locationally able to help with book relocation. Books are heavy and having just moved myself and a friend I wish you luck.

    By Blogger paksenn, at May 17, 2006 4:13 PM  

  • Maybe you can tie a rope around the books and haul them up?

    By Blogger Amelia Earhart, at May 19, 2006 11:39 AM  

  • Hhhhmmmm .... would have to say at the moment, things like ropes, guns and objects with any kind of sharp edge should be kept beyond my reach!

    No doubt things will improve but they always manage to get worse first - Murphy's Law in operation.

    By Blogger pingcat, at May 19, 2006 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page