reluctantriter

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Great Cookie Caper


Well, I wanted to write yesterday about “the great cookie caper” but the job wasn’t finished until today.

Having obtained suitable nourishment at JJ’s – chicken potpie is devine, off we went to try to secure specially hand made doggie biscuits. The shop, Hawaiian Doggie Bakery and Gift Shop use to be located at a very popular shopping centre, Victoria Ward Like a lot of retail space, the rent probably went up and the shop left for the less touristy and more difficult environs of, not quite suburbia, but for sure, not the city centre. Along for the trip was one of my local buddies (NEVER, NEVER refer to the people who live here as “natives” as in “Are you native to this island?” Always use “local” as in “Are you a local?”). You would think with local help this should be a snap but, no joy in sunville until I stopped at a Vet hospital – as in critters, not former armed services personnel, near where I “thought” the place might be. They gave me specific directions and I was able to track down the ever elusive peanut butter mutt bar! Well, that isn’t really the name of it but I think that that is very cool. As I said the work wasn’t complete until today as they are only open Friday, Saturday, Sunday and wouldn’t you know it, even today, we were too early as their day doesn’t start until 11:00AM and ends at 5:00PM.

Other events of the day included a rather mundane trip to CostCo for some pineapple that was already chopped up, a visit to “Wally-mart” with the Wally-mart queen for some staples and some serious reading of Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank …. yes, that REALLY is the author’s name. A small tome of only 766 pages including notes … probably take me longer to read it than it took the US Marines to take it!

As an aside, I DID get a comment from a local about the Asia Pacific Centre for Security Studies (APC) – see blog comments for blog entry titled “Wednesday April 18th 2007 . It was kind of funny in a way as she apologized to me, for my seeing it as “spooky” and went on to say it was an active centre of learning and had NOTHING to do with the CIA …. too, too funny in away as I have just finished watching “The Good Shepherd” just before I came down – excellent movie by the way … yes of course APC has “nothing” to do with the CIA … of course not …. yes ….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from pingcat1. Make your own badge here.
Locations of visitors to this page